Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Program and Stompbox mode with Kemper Profiling Amplifier
How to set Registers 1, 2, 3 to Program mode and Registers 4, 5, 6 to Stompbox mode in MIDI Grande 8F1D to control stompboxes A, B, C in Kemper Profiling Amplifier?

First enable globally two types of MIDI commands - the first command will be Program Change (PC) and the second command will be Control Change (CC):
  • Press and hold the Edit/Save button for cca 5 seconds. The display shows: GLOB. You are in Global settings.
  • When you release the button, the display shows: 1 PC. It means that the first command is PROGRAM CHANGE.
  • Press the Param> button. The display shows: 1C 1. It means that the first command is on channel 1.
  • Press the Param> button. The display shows: 2---. It means that the second command is switched off. Press the Value> button twice, the display shows: 2 CC. It means that the second command is CONTROL CHANGE.
  • Press the Param> button. The display shows: 2C 2. It means that the second command is on channel 2. Press <Value button to set it on Channel 1.
You have globally configured the controler for using two commands in each Layer: PROGRAM CHANGE (PC) and CONTROL CHANGE (CC).

You are still in Global mode. Now let's configure the mode of Registers for Program or Stompbox:
  • Press Register 1 footswitch. The display shows: 1PGM. It means that the Register 1 is in Program mode.
  • Press Register 2 footswitch. The display shows: 2PGM. It means that the Register 2 is in Program mode.
  • Press Register 3 footswitch. The display shows: 3PGM. It means that the Register 3 is in Program mode.
  • Press Register 4 footswitch. The display shows: 4PGM. Press Value> button to set it to 4STO - Stompbox mode.
  • Press Register 5 footswitch. The display shows: 5PGM. Press Value> button to set it to 5STO - Stompbox mode.
  • Press Register 6 footswitch. The display shows: 6PGM. Press Value> button to set it to 6STO - Stompbox mode.
  • Press the Edit/Save button shortly.
You have globally configured the controler for Registers 1, 2, 3 to Program mode and Registers 4, 5, 6 to Stompbox mode.

Now let's configure particular layers to control stompboxes:

Let's suppose that you are in the first Bank. For setting the Register 4 in MIDI Grande to Stompbox A in Kemper Profiling Amplifier:
  • Press Register 4, it lights red. The display shows: 14-1 (you are in the first Bank, Register 4, Red Layer).
  • Press Edit/Save button shortly. The display shows: 1  4, green dot lights at CMD, red dot lights at PC. It means that you edit the first command and it is PC 4. Press Clear button, the display shows: 1---. The PC command will not apply in this layer when you want to control stompboxes in Kemper.
  • Press Param> button. The display shows: 2---, green dot lights at CMD, red dot lights at CC. It means that you edit the second command and it would be CC, but it is switched off. Press the Value> button to set number 17. This is the CC number of Stompbox A in Kemper, as defined in the manual.
  • Press the Param> button. The display shows: 2  0, green dot lights at CMD, red dot lights at CC and Value. It means that you edit the value of the second command and it is CC. Let it at zero value because zero is used for switching off anything in MIDI; in this case Stompbox A.
  • Press shortly Edit/Save button.
You have programmed the Red layer of Register 4 in Bank 1 for switch off the Stompbox A in Kemper.

Now let's program it for switching on, it wil be very similar.
  • Press Register 4, it lights green. The display shows: 14-2 (you are in the first Bank, Register 4, Green Layer).
  • Press Edit/Save button shortly. The display shows: 1  4, green dot lights at CMD, red dot lights at PC. It means that you edit the first command and it is PC 4. Press Clear button, the display shows: 1---. The PC command will not apply when you want to control stompboxes.
  • Press Param> button. The display shows: 2---, green dot lights at CMD, red dot lights at CC. It means that you edit the second command and it would be CC, but it is switched off. Press the Value> button to set number 17. This is the CC number of Stompbox A in Kemper, as defined in the manual.
  • Press the Param> button. The display shows: 2  0, green dot lights at CMD, red dot lights at CC and Value. It means that you edit the value of the second command and it is CC. Press <Value button once to set value 127. It is the maximal value in MIDI and it is used for switching on; in this case Stompbox A.
  • Press shortly Edit/Save button.
You have programmed the Green Layer of Register 4 in Bank 1 for switch on the Stompbox A in Kemper.

Now when you press repeteadly footswitch 4, the Stompbox A in Kemper is switched on and off. The colors are like traffic lights: red = stop, green = go.

You can set similarly Register 5 for Stomp B, use CC number 18; and Register 6 for Stomp C, use CC number 19.
If I have my device set to bi-directional, should I be able to see the on/off status of the stompboxes when I change programs?

For example, one of my presets has stompbox 1 on so I would expect the footswitch assigned to stompbox 1 to be green when I switch to the preset. However, that is not the case. In fact, I need to press the footswitch twice to turn off stompbox 1. Pressing it once turns the switch green, then pressing it again turns the stomp off.

The tuner works fine, so I assume bi-directional is working correctly.
Even if I could manually save the status of stomps that would help.

For example; Preset 4 on my kemper all of the stomps are on by default, So on the midi forte I go to to preset 4 turn all 4 stomps on (to green) and save that as a status. So next time I go to preset 4, all of the stomps retain their on (green) status which now matches the kemper preset.

Is this possible?
Already answered by email, but for other visitors: this function will be available at the end of May 2017.
Thanks for your feedback.